Activities & Sights in Connemara
Clifden’s position between the western reaches of the Twelve Ben Mountains and stunning bays of the Atlantic makes it an ideal base for exploring Connemara and Ireland’s West.
The sheer volume and variety of things to do and see here can stagger the imagination. Whatever your fancy, we’d be happy to help with arrangements. We maintain good contact with the local activity providers and can even secure discounts with some.
Angling & Fishing
Lakes, rivers, beach-surf, and deep-sea offer salmon, trout, eel, mackerel, pollock, flounder, plaice, and more!
- Permits & information - G. Stanley & Sons on Market Street
- Deep-sea angling - Celtic Queen +353 (0) 95 21069
Hiking & Hill Walking
Twelve Bens, Maumturks, Sky Road, Diamond Hill, beach and coast, you’ll find a walk to suit your interest and abilities.
- Guided walks - Michael Gibbons +353 (0) 95 21379
Beaches & Swimming
Omey, Coral, Dogs Bay, Gurteen, Mannin Bay, Aillebrack and Glassilaun, each with its own unique sand and glorious seascapes.
On the beach, over moorlands, for as long or as short as you wish, with lessons too, a trek atop a Connemara Pony offers a rare and beautiful way to view the Connemara landscape.
- Connemara Pony Breeders Society - www.cpbs.ie +353 (0) 95 21863
- Cleggan Beach Riding Centre - www.clegganridingcentre.com +353 (0) 95 44756
- The Point Pony Trekking & Horse Riding Centre +353 (0) 95 23685
- Erislannan Riding Centre +353 (0) 95 21134
- Laragan Stables +353 (0) 95 44735
At least 5 bicycle routes starting and ending in Clifden, ranging from an hour to a full day, give both the casual peddler and hard-core enthusiast an outstanding variety of unforgettable trips to choose from.
Mannions Cycle +353 (0) 95 21160
Omey, Inishbofin, Inishturk, Inishark are a few of the emerald jewels scattered just off the Connemara coast, some reached by car or foot, others by ferry or private charter.
- Claddaghduff post office +353 (0) 95 44673
- Cleggan-Inishbofin Ferry
- Island Discovery +353 (0) 95 45819
- Western Exposure Safaris +353 (0) 95 41132
- Celtic Queen +353 (0) 95 21069
Clifden Castle, Sky Road, Alcock & Brown landing site, Marconi wireless station, Owenglin River and waterfall, Beach Road, standing stones, Station House Museum, Station House Theatre, Dan O’Hara Heritage Centre.